Honeywell’s History – international
Honeywell looks back on a tradition
spanning over 120 years. The development of a damper control for coal
furnaces lays the foundations in 1885. The first German Honeywell
distribution company was founded in 1954 in Frankfurt.
Together with a colleague, Albert M. Butz, a son of Swiss emigrants,
develops in Minneapolis, Minnesota/USA, a damper control for coal
furnaces, a thermostatic system which can automatically control the
room temperature in tenement buildings using the available technology.
The patents are registered in 1885 and the "Butz Thermo-Electric
Regulator Company" is founded. It is the first company to offer
products that automatically control the inside temperature of buildings
1888: The company’s founder leaves Minneapolis. His patents are held by lawyers in the
"Consolidated Temperature Controlling Company".
After renaming the company the "Electric Thermostat Company", William
Richard Sweatt takes over control of the company. Ten years later he
becomes the sole proprietor of the company which is now signed with the
firm name” Electric Heat Regulator Company".
1912: The company builds its first factory and is renamed "Minneapolis Heat Regulator Company".
Mark C. Honeywell, a pioneer of automation technology, develops the
clock thermostat in his company, "Honeywell Heating Specialties
William R. Sweatt, proprietor of the "Minneapolis Heat Regulator
Company", and Mark C. Honeywell, proprietor of the "Honeywell Heating
Specialties Company" in Wabash, Indiana, merge both of their companies.
The new firm bearing the name, "Minneapolis-Honeywell Regulator
Company", is founded as a stock corporation and achieves sales of 5.25
million dollars in 1928.
product range for industrial applications can be significantly expanded
by the acquisition of the "Brown Instruments Company" at the end of
1934. Founded in Philadelphia in 1859, the company manufactured
signalling and writing controllers for industrial processes. The Brown
Instruments Company was already active on the international market. The
"N.V. Nederlandsche Minneapolis-Honeywell", which was founded in 1934,
becomes the first mainstay in Europe. At the height of its pre-war
activities, the company has 15 Dutch and German employees. This is
swiftly followed by further foreign subsidiaries in England (1936) and
Sweden (1938). After the war the three subsidiaries in Amsterdam,
London and Stockholm are reorganised, including a subsidiary in
Brussels (1946) and in Zürich (1947).
The aeronautical division develops as the forerunner of the present-day
aerospace division due to the demands that were placed on the company
during the preparations made for America to enter the Second World War.
1945: The company’s sales exceed the100 million dollar mark for the first time. Over 17,000 workers are employed worldwide.
The '50’s: Honeywell opens further
branches and production sites all over the world. The German
distribution company is founded in Frankfurt in 1954. Honeywell reacts
to the continual increase in demand for automation technology with
Probably the most famous control device in the world, the Honeywell
Thermostat T68 "The Round®", replaces controllers in living quarters,
which had thus far been clumsy and rectangular. "The Round" is just as
famous in the USA today as Coca-Cola or McDonalds. It is still being
The '60’s: Honeywell enters other
areas of automatic technology (industrial automation, sensor
technology, aeronautics). Honeywell's sales exceed the 1 billion dollar
mark for the first time in 1967. Honeywell spearheads development work
in the area of building control.
1972: WSE (today NexWatch, A Honeywell-Company) invents contact-free access control.
Global partnerships are created with the aim of consolidating the
company. Setting up joint ventures in the West and the East increase
internationalism and broaden Honeywell’s horizons. The fittings’
factory, Heinrich Braukmann, is acquired in Germany in 1980 and renamed
Honeywell Braukmann GmbH. This is followed by the acquisition of Centra
Bürkle GmbH in the area of heat regulation in 1984.
In Germany, Honeywell acquires Metallwerke Neheim Goeke & Co.
(MNG). Honeywell Inc. completes its acquisition of shares in Measurex
Corp. (Cupertino/California) in March 1997.
1999: Merger of Honeywell and Allied Signal.
The History of Allied Signal
Allied Signal goes back to the Allied
Chemical & Dye Corporation which was founded in 1920 by the editor
of the Washington Post, Eugene Meyer, and scientist William Nichols.
The company merged five chemical companies which were founded in the
United States in the 19th century.
Allied opens a factory for synthetic ammonia near Hopewell (Virginia),
which is set to develop into the largest producer of ammonia in the
After the 2nd World War, Allied
recommences production of other new products such as nylon 6 (from
which almost everything can be produced, from tyres right through to
clothing) and coolants.
1958: The company is renamed Allied Chemical Corp. and relocates to its current location in Morristown (New Jersey).
Allied acquires the company Union Texas Natural Gas, which owned the
oil and gas reserves on the entire continent of America. Allied regards
this company primarily as a supplier of raw materials for its chemical
products. However, this changes at the start of the Seventies when CEO
John Connor (Minister for Trade during the term in office of President
Lyndon Johnson) sells countless numbers of Allied’s unprofitable
divisions and invests in the search for oil and gas reserves. In 1979,
when Edward Hennessy Jr. becomes CEO of the Group, Union Texas
generates 80% of Allied’s yields.
In 1981 the Group, trading under the firm name Allied Corp., acquires
the aeronautics and automobile company, Bendix Corp. In 1984, Bendix is
already contributing to 50% of Allied’s earnings, with oil and gas
The merger of Allied and Signal
Companies in 1985 helps the divisions of aeronautics, automobile and
technical materials to reach critical mass. Signal, which was founded
by Sam Mosher as the Signal Gasoline Company in 1922, was formerly a
Californian company that produced oil from natural gas. When the
company began drilling for crude oil in 1928, its name changed to
Signal Oil & Gas. Signal ultimately merged with the Garrett
Corporation, an aeronautics company located in Los Angeles, and renamed
the Group Signal Companies in 1968.
By incorporating the Signal company
part Garret in Bendix, aeronautics has become one of Allied Signal's
largest divisions. In 1985, the company sold 50% of Union Texas and,
with the foundation and split-off of the Henley Group, Inc., sold off
35 non-strategic divisions in 1986.
Under the new CEO, Lawrence A. Bossidy, and with a new management role
in numerous important divisions, Allied Signal undertakes a
comprehensive restructuring programme. Bold measures follow, which aim
to increase cash flow, operating margins, and productivity as well as
position the company as a globally competitive power in years to come.
The name Allied-Signal changes to AlliedSignal in 1993, which
reinforces the image of a uniform company and symbolises the full
integration of all divisions.
company sells the rest of its shares in Union Texas as part of a public
tender offer, which nets the company US$ 940m in net proceeds.
During the Nineties: Lawrence
A. Bossidy carries out a reorganisation of the company focusing on
growth and productivity, which leads to the market value of
AlliedSignal shares increasing four-fold and a striking outperformance
of the Dow Jones Industrial Average and the S&P 500.
In Germany, AlliedSignal purchases the Riedel-de Haën AG from Hoechst
AG. The Group thereby acquires a fine chemicals company which is
particularly well known in Europe and enjoys a long tradition.
2005: Honeywell purchases Firma Novar plc. which has numerous locations in Germany.
Honeywell’s History – Austria & Eastern Europe
1989: Founding of the firm, ESSER Sicherheitstechnik in Vienna, Austria
Sales area: Austria and Eastern Europe
1996: Opening of the first sales office in Prague, Czech Republic and Lugoj, Romania
2000: Renamed ESSER Austria GmbH
2003: Takeover of ESSER Austria by Novar plc. and renamed Novar Austria GmbH
2004: Opening of the first sales office in Moscow, Russia
2005: Takeover by Honeywell
Opening of the first sales office in Warsaw, Poland
2007: Novar Austria GmbH renamed Honeywell Life Safety Austria GmbH
- Opening of the first Ukrainian sales office in Kiev, Ukraine
- Opening of the first Turkish sales office in Istanbul, Turkey
- Opening of the second Romanian sales office in Bucharest, Romania
- Opening of the second Russian sales office in St. Petersburg, Russia
- Takeover of AV Digital by
Honeywell, thereby expanding its product portfolio to the division of
electro-acoustic emergency warning systems and public address systems.